The Official Website for Evolution 2013
June 21-25, 2013
Meeting and Conference
Snowbird, Utah, USA
Evolution 2013 is the joint annual meeting of
the Society for the
Study of Evolution (SSE), the Society of Systematic
Biologists (SSB), and the American Society of
Naturalists (ASN), on June 21-25, 2013, at the Snowbird
The Evolution Conference
This meeting is the premier annual opportunity
for sharing scientific research related to evolution.
Symposia presentations, concurrent contributed papers, and
poster sessions will be presented by the 1,400 expected
participants. Product and service providers will contribute
to the meeting through their exhibits. Social activities
will include an opening reception, mixers with each evening
poster session, and a super-social/award ceremony - all
of these mixers and receptions are included with
Evolution 2013 meets jointly with the iEvoBio
conference, which brings together biologists interested in
evolution, systematics, biodiversity, software, and
- The online program is now available. Check the program website to search the program and to create your own personalized schedule for talks to attend at the meeting. For more information go to Program.
- Additional housing options are available - check the Accommodations web page for more information.
- All submitted presentations are automatically accepted. If you require a letter of acceptance or a letter of invitation, please contact Johanne Strogan at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Presentation title submission is now closed.
T-shirt and printed program orders are closed - a
limited number will be available for purchase during
- Early registration has now ended, late registration
rates are in effect.
- Congratulations to Judy Scotchmoor - Gould Award
recipient for 2013!
- Room-share program now available. Email Evol2013@pdx.edu
to receive information and access to an online
spreadsheet of people looking for roommates.Individuals
are responsible for finding their own roommates.
- Registration and presentation
submission is now open.
- The iEvoBio
conference web site is now available.
- New this year - Lightning Talks! See Presenter Information for more info.
- Information about Student
Awards, Field Trips
and Activities, and for the K-12 Teacher Workshop
is now posted.
- Childcare details are now posted.
Hints and Information about the
- Sustainable practices: In the interest of making this meeting as "green" as possible please consider the following suggestions:
- Please bring a water bottle, mug, or other container for drinks during breaks and receptions.
- We will not provide bags at registration, so please bring your own.
- The program will be available online and as a pdf
file. If you prefer a printed copy there will be
a small fee and an opportunity make this request
- Reminder: During the conference please allow 48
hours of acclimation before engaging in strenuous
physical activities. The air is very dry so drink lots
of water to stay hydrated.
- Pets: Please be aware that NO DOGS
are allowed in Snowbird or anywhere in Little Cottonwood
Canyon (including the campgrounds) due to watershed
issues. Please see the Salt
Lake Valley Health Department website for more
The meeting schedule will follow that of
recent years with a few modifications; on Monday there will
be a 1/2 day recess for recreation and field trips, and
there will be an all-society mixer/award ceremony instead of
a banquet on Tuesday evening. For your travel planning
purposes, here is a brief summary:
>Society joint council meeting
>Individual society meetings
>Gould Award lecture (open to the general public)
>Symposia and concurrent paper sessions
>K-12 education workshop
|>Society presidential address
>Poster session and mixer
||>Symposia and concurrent paper sessions||>Symposia and concurrent paper sessions||>Society presidential address
>Poster session and mixer
||>Morning half-day of
concurrent sessions and lightning
||>Recess at noon for recreation and field trips||>Poster session and mixer|
||>Symposia and concurrent
>Society council members exit meetings
>iEvoBio Conference begins
|>Symposia and concurrent paper sessions||>Society presidential address
>Final mixer and award ceremony free to all attendees
||>iEvoBio Conference day 2|
The Snowbird Resort offers numerous opportunities for relaxing and enjoying the views from patios, terraces, and indoor lounges. Swimming pools, tennis courts, a spa, fishing pond, playground, alpine slide, ZipRider, bungy trampoline and more facilities are available within the village. The Aerial Tram will take you up to the top of Hidden Peak at 3353 m (11,000 ft). From there you can hike, bike or ride the tram or Peruvian Quad ski lift back down to the village. A short car ride away, Salt Lake City offers many dining and shopping venues as well as sight seeing attractions, including the Natural History Museum of Utah at the Rio Tinto Center and Temple Square. Exceptional sites for botanizing, birding, hiking, and wildlife viewing are within an hour's drive at Antelope Island, Big Cottonwood Canyon and Bear River Migratory Bird Refuge.
If you wish to venture further before or after the meeting, Snowbird is near the geographic center of the scenic Southwest, and provides easy access to recreation sites throughout the Rocky Mountains. The Red Rock country of Moab and Arches National Park are within a half-day drive, and a little further south lies Monument Valley - famous for its impressive mesas and buttes. Spectacular fossil deposits can be found four hours east of Snowbird at Dinosaur National Monument, and archaeological sites of Anasazi dwellings can be explored within a day's drive south at Mesa Verde National Park, Colorado, and in Canyon de Chelly National Monument, Arizona.